The result is a much more shapely edge. I was attempting to achieve the scalloped effect that the book displays.
I do not crochet for a reason. After years with the hook in my hand, I became supremely bored with it, and also tended to get a mightily sore wrist - which made trucker-mouth arrive promptly on cue!
It was time to move on. Fortunately, in timely fashion, tatting made its appearance.
Now, my wrists are fine. Unfortunately, trucker-mouth just moved camp...
#1 was the first one I tatted - pretty but no distinct border.
#2 is the same centre, but I cut off the original border and crocheted it with crossed stitches at the beginning of the curved chains, hoping the scalloped edge would emerge. It did not. Also, I sliced through picots while removing the edge, and had to re-tat the whole thing. Bahh.
#3 is the last motif before I added the crocheted edging. The picots are just about half the size.
I dare you to tat this without a picot gauge!
p.s. This is my 700th post!